I made fry bread last night and this is my tried and true recipe.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl or a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the melted butter and milk to the dry ingredients. Mix well until a dough forms. You can use a wooden spoon or your hands to knead the dough until it’s smooth and uniform.
- Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
- After the resting period, divide the dough into small balls. The size of the balls will determine the size of your fry bread, so you can make them as big or small as you prefer.
- On a floured surface, flatten each ball of dough into a circle. You can use a rolling pin or your hands to do this. The thickness of the dough should be about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm).
- In a deep frying pan or a deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
- Carefully slide the flattened dough into the hot oil, one at a time. Be cautious not to overcrowd the pan, as they need space to puff up and cook evenly.
- Fry each side for 2-3 minutes or until it turns golden brown and puffs up. Use tongs to flip the fry bread and remove it from the oil when both sides are nicely browned.
- Place the fried bread on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve your delicious fry bread warm. You can enjoy it with a variety of toppings, such as honey, powdered sugar, or as a base for savory toppings like taco ingredients.