Philly Cheese steak pasta.
I’m blessed enough to get WIC, so I had whole wheat pasta, shredded mozzarella, onion and a green pepper I got from WIC.
I bought 1 lb hamburger ($1.99). 1 jar Alfredo ($1.88).
Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta (provided by WIC)
- 1 lb ground hamburger ($1.99)
- 1 jar Alfredo sauce ($1.88)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (provided by WIC)
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced (provided by WIC)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (provided by WIC)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Cook the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the whole wheat pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Prepare the Meat and Vegetables:
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground hamburger to the skillet. Break it apart with a wooden spoon and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove the cooked meat from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the thinly sliced onion and green pepper. Cook until they are soft and slightly caramelized, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Combine Pasta, Meat, and Vegetables:
- Return the cooked hamburger to the skillet with the onions and green peppers.
- Pour the jar of Alfredo sauce over the meat and vegetables. Stir well to combine and let it simmer for a few minutes until everything is heated through and well mixed.
4. Combine with Pasta:
- Add the cooked whole wheat pasta to the skillet. Toss everything together until the pasta is well coated with the Alfredo sauce and mixed evenly with the meat and vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remember, the cheese and Alfredo sauce might already have some salt, so taste before adding more.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
5. Add Shredded Mozzarella:
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the pasta.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let it sit for a minute or two until the cheese melts and becomes gooey.
- Once the cheese is melted, give the pasta a final gentle toss.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a burst of color and freshness.