Tonight’s dinner for 6 ~ a crockpot of Calico Beans . Cornbread will be served with it.
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 lb bacon
2 cans pork and beans
2 cans dark kidney beans,drained
2 cans butter beans,drained
1/2 onion chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
I put all the beans in the crockpot.
Brown the beef with the onion. Drain and add to beans. Then fry bacon and crumble or dice and add to beans.
Then I add ketchup and brown sugar and stir. Put lid on and cook on low 6-8 hrs.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 2 cans (15 oz each) pork and beans
- 2 cans (15 oz each) dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 oz each) butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the Crockpot: Place the pork and beans, dark kidney beans, and butter beans in the crockpot.
- Brown the Ground Beef and Onion: In a skillet over medium heat, brown the lean ground beef with chopped onions until the meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
- Cook the Bacon: In the same skillet, cook the diced bacon until it becomes crispy. Remove excess fat by placing the bacon on paper towels.
- Combine Ingredients in the Crockpot: Add the browned ground beef and onions to the beans in the crockpot. Then, add the cooked bacon.
- Add Ketchup and Brown Sugar: Pour in the ketchup and sprinkle the brown sugar over the mixture. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Season to Taste: Taste the mixture and add salt and pepper as needed. Remember, the bacon can add some saltiness, so be sure to taste before adding too much salt.
- Slow Cook: Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. This slow cooking process allows the flavors to meld together, creating a rich and hearty dish.