Sunday dinner; Crockpot beef stew
1.5 lbs stew beef
6 med potatoes ,chopped
5 lg carrots, sliced
1 lg container of baby portobella mushrooms
1 lg onion, chopped
4 cups of water
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tbs of beef bullion (powder)
1 pkt of McCormick beef stew mix
Salt and pepper to taste
Set to low for 6.5 hrs
When done I added 1 cup of flour and cold water slurry to thicken
Hearty Crockpot Beef Stew
- 1.5 lbs stew beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large container of baby portobella mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 packet McCormick beef stew mix
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (for thickening)
- Cold water, for making the slurry
- Prepare the Crockpot: Place the stew beef, chopped potatoes, sliced carrots, halved mushrooms, and chopped onion into the crockpot.
- Prepare the Broth: In a separate bowl, mix 4 cups of water with onion powder, beef bouillon powder, and the packet of McCormick beef stew mix. Stir well to dissolve the seasoning mix and bouillon powder completely.
- Pour the Broth: Pour the prepared broth over the ingredients in the crockpot. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste preferences. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients and distribute the flavors evenly.
- Slow Cook: Cover the crockpot and set it to low heat for 6.5 hours. Slow cooking allows the flavors to meld and the meat to become tender.
- Thicken the Stew: After the stew has cooked for 6.5 hours, prepare a slurry to thicken the stew. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of flour with enough cold water to create a smooth, pourable paste. Slowly pour the slurry into the crockpot while stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming. Continue stirring until the stew thickens to your desired consistency.
- Serve: Once the stew has thickened, ladle it into bowls and serve hot. Optionally, garnish with fresh chopped parsley or thyme for a burst of color and added flavor. This hearty beef stew pairs wonderfully with crusty bread or dinner rolls.
Enjoy your comforting